Practice makes perfect. Obviously.

So you want to build better models? Then you might need more than a large bank balance…

“Surround yourself with acres of paint racks, glues, airbrushes and all manner of kits and accessories by all means, but if you cannot master just one element properly, you will fail across the board” Continue reading

Advertisements

The disease of buying old kits…

Have you ever thought that that ancient tool would be a good investment? Then you are not alone…

“Well, what was I to do? The desire was there, I had a few coins in my bank account and at that price, it would be silly to miss out on the opportunity to grab a kit that hardly ever seems to appear for sale”

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 09.24.52 Continue reading

Harrier T.4 Conversion Part 2

I can move on to the detailing of the cockpit and that’s where the real fun begins!

Work continues – nose and cockpit extension…

Having gathered together all of the images that I need to complete this mammoth project, work has continued on the nose extension and trying to get the surfaces as smooth as possible. You’ll already have seen the work needed to extend the nose the necessary 47 scale inches (https://thekitbox.wordpress.com/2016/06/22/that-dream-project-the-journey-begins/) so over the last week I’ve spent time blending the plasticard and strips into the rest of the airframe. To begin with, this meant flooding the area with superglue and then 3M Red Finishing Putty, before applying a number of layers of Halfords Grey Plastic Primer an then Plastic Filler Primer, to smooth everything out.

IMG_0641

As it stands, the nose is almost there, though I’ve noticed a few errant areas that will need further work. The main issue is the appearance of slight ‘ghost seams’ that keep appearing as the glue around the nose extension settles down. I’m hoping that by the time this model is painted in three months time, everything will be hard enough to allow those areas to be smoothed over perfectly. Here’s keeping my fingers crossed!

With the nose extended and the interior walls smoothed out, I’ve begun work on the cockpit bulkheads and floors. Though I was tempted to try and amend the kit parts and then duplicate them, they are in fact rather inaccurate, so the need to rebuild everything, became almost instantly apparent! So far, I’ve created the nose bulkhead, front cockpit floor and rear bulkhead, along with the rear bulkhead for the second cockpit. I was really concerned by my ability to create these parts, but in the end they were simply to create, only a little adjustment here and there being needed for an almost perfect fit. Hopefully today, I’ll be able to complete the floor for the rear cockpit and join the whole lot together to create a complete cockpit structure. Once I’ve done this I think I’ll be a lot happier as this was always the the most daunting aspect of this build. Once the basic structure is done, I can move on to the detailing of the cockpit and that’s where the real fun begins…

IMG_0645IMG_0648IMG_0651